How to Maintain your Wooden Plantation Shutters
Wooden plantation shutters can be fitted for either decorative or functional reasons, but either way, the majority of homeowners want them to look the best they can possibly look at all times. If you don’t keep on top of cleaning them, they can soon lose their beauty and charm that once attracted you to them in the first place.
Wooden shutters unfortunately do tend to collect more dirt than other types of shutter, such as faux wood or PVC shutters, so you will find that you have to them more frequently. However, if painted to a high standard, wooden plantation shutters can be just as easy to clean and maintain as others.
How do I keep them clean?
- If there are any stains on the shutters, first use a paper towel to remove the stain. If it proves to be rather stubborn, use a small amount of wood cleaner and dab to the area.
- We advise you dust your shutters at least once a week to stay on top of the amount of dust that builds up.
- Either use a dry fibre cloth, feather duster or a vacuum, if you have a separate brush attachment, for cleaning delicate places.
- Tilt the slat up and vacuum over them in a downwards motion. Then, tilt them the other way and do the same again – don’t forget to to the tops and bottoms too!
- You may need to use a step ladder or small step to reach them – never lean on the shutters for support as you risk damaging them.
- If there are any small grooves that collect dust but you cannot get to with your vacuum or cloth, then use a toothbrush to get rid of any trapped dust and dirt.
- To give them a professional finish and make them look new and shiny, either spritz a small amount of oil soup or diluted wood cleaner over the slates. Similarly, use a non-wax furniture polish and apply with a soft cloth.
What NOT to do
- NEVER use soapy water. This will warp the wood and cause cracking; permanently damaging the shutters.
- NEVER use household detergents as these can stain the wood.
- NEVER use furniture polish. This may be tempting when you’re polishing the whole house but this should never be used on wood surfaces.
Introducing our top cleaning tips to your weekly cleaning regime will increase the lifespan of your wooden shutters and keep them looking pristine too!
Angel Blinds Wooden Plantation Shutters
Here at Angel Blinds and Shutters, our wooden plantation shutters are made to the highest quality. Not only will their strength act as another security measure but are extremely versatile and suitable for a wide range of rooms, including living rooms and bedrooms. For more details on our made to measure plantation shutters that can fit your windows perfectly, please feel free to get in touch with us today.
Image credit: blindsgalore.com
Not sure what you need? Talk to one of our friendly staff on 0800 151 0229