How to Clean and Care for Wooden Venetian Blinds
There is nothing quite like real wood, Venetian blinds. Their natural aesthetic looks beautiful in any room and can complement any interior you may have. Aside from their appearance, they are also an excellent option in terms of practicality. They can improve the energy efficiency of your home and are easy to clean too. Keep reading our article for a simple step-by-step guide on how to keep your wooden Venetian blinds clean and in excellent condition.
First, check to see if there are any spots or stains on the slats. If you do see any, try following these steps to remove them:
- Rub the stained area with a dry paper towel
- Failing this, try using a mild detergent or wood cleaner
- Try to keep the slat as dry as possible – if too much water is used it will soak into the wood and could distort and/or stain it
- Thoroughly dry with a towel
If there aren’t any marks or stains and the blinds simply need a regular clean, then you can dive straight into this easy cleaning regime:
- Fully close the blinds so the slats are lying flat
- Use a feather duster or a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust particles
- Rotate the slats using the cord and dust the other side
- Using a damp cloth, wipe down the blinds, then rotate slats and repeat on other side
- If the blinds are very dirty, spray a small amount of oil soap on them and wipe down with a cloth – this will remove any lingering dirt and give them a nice shiny appearance
More thorough cleaning
Perhaps once every couple of months, or when you do your annual spring clean, you might want to pay a little more attention to your blinds and give them a thorough clean. Even if you keep on top of cleaning them regularly, it is still a good idea to give them a one-off deep clean to help keep them looking better for longer.
Open the slats, so the blind is pulled down but the slats are open and you can see outside. Using either a slightly damp cloth, cotton glove or old sock, wipe each slat individually. This will allow you to clean each slat and remove any remaining dust that may have otherwise been overlooked.
Remember: wooden Venetian blinds should always been cleaned with care in order to avoid any damage.
For an oil-based cleaning agent:
- Mix a quarter of a cup of olive oil with a small bowl of lukewarm water
For furniture polish:
- Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to half a cup of warm water
To see our range of Venetian blinds, including wooden Venetians, please feel free to visit our showroom or give us a call. We’ll be happy to discuss your requirements and budget, and arrange for a home visit at your earliest convenience.
Not sure what you need? Talk to one of our friendly staff on 0800 151 0229