Choosing an Awning or Canopy for your Home or Business
The entrance to your home or business can say a lot about what sort of person you are and the values that you have. Despite the infamous saying, “never to judge a book by the cover”, it is undoubtedly true that when it comes to the entrance of a property, our preconceptions are based on what we see in front of us.
One way to make your house or business stand out from the rest is with a beautiful awning or canopy that can make outstanding improvements to your premises, whether across the front of your shop or even in your back garden above the patio area. But before you go ahead and have one installed, there are a few things to consider so that you end up with an excellent quality, long lasting canopy or awning.
Generally speaking, fabric materials make more of a natural, rustic looking feature, whereas metal creates a more sleek, robust and functional design providing the best shelter from all the elements and more likely to stand strong winds. Here are some of the most commonly used materials for canopies and awnings.
- Aluminium – This is the most popular material, comes in a variety of colours, is strong, light, rust proof, easy to clean and needs less maintenance than other materials.
- Stainless steel – Hard wearing and rust proof. But be careful, plain steel (not stainless) can run onto the fabric and cause rusting which in turn can alter the arm movement.
- Vinyl – A cheaper fabric option but doesn’t air well, so after rain, mildew can collect on the surface of the fabric and it can also easily crack after we’ve had sunny weather.
- Water proof – Water proof materials are more durable than fabric and less likely to tear or stretch over time.
- Solution dyed acrylic – This is a woven material that dries quicker than vinyl, does not cause mildew and does not rot the fabric either.
But when choosing which material is the best, don’t forget to consider the cleaning factor. How easy is the material to keep clean, because no matter how much money you spend on it, if it is not kept clean then it won’t give off the right impression which you intended it to.
You need to make sure that before buying your awning or canopy, it comes from a reputable company that can offer you more than just a phone number to ring for support, should you need it in future.
- Quality of customer service – A reliable company will take the time going through all the different models and fabric options with you, putting you under no pressure to rush your decision but allowing you time to answer any questions you may have.
- Installation terms – A trustworthy awnings and canopies company will install them for you with minimal hassle so don’t be afraid to ask them about their installation processes upfront, especially if they don’t have a FAQ section on their website – or even a website for that matter!
- Guarantees and warranties – Ideally you should have a minimum of a six year warranty, regardless to what model you have or how much you spend.
Electric vs Manual
Standard awnings are manually operated with a winder handle that when turned, retracts or extends your awning. This is fine if you are able-bodied and can manoeuvre it yourself. For those who are not able to, or would simply like the luxury of being able to retract your awning easily, there are the electric awnings. Depending on your preference, this can be a switch, a remote control or even a weather sensor for minimal effort.
If you choose a reliable and reputable company to buy either your awning or canopy from, you will be guaranteed to have a professional service including genuine advice, a seamless installation and reliable service and after-sales care.
For any further information on canopies and awnings please feel free to get in touch with the experts here at Angel Blinds and Shutters, we’ll be more than happy to give you all the advice you need.
Not sure what you need? Talk to one of our friendly staff on 0800 151 0229